Monday, June 01, 2009

grey flycatcher arrived





I hoped he would come..
I expected to see him much earlier...this year,...
the grey flycatcher. (grauwe vliegevanger)
Like the pied flycatcher(bonte vliegevanger) he came flying all the way from Africa to my garden.
Almost every year they breed here...
not last year...then he went to my neighbours...so...its not a rule.

Today I heard tjiii..iek, tjii..iek ...
there he was, inspecting the ivy...catching some flies
and...
inspecting the top of one of the nest-boxes under he ivy-arch.
later I saw them together...the male and female, both look-alike,
sitting on top of the nest-box.

grey-flycatchers make an open nest...
that's so nice..because you can then follow the whole process of breeding more closely.
I hope the nest-box will be the place this year...
I really do !

1 comment:

Beth Niquette said...

That is just amazing. How lovely! I don't think I've ever seen a grey flycatcher!

Thank you for sharing. I always look forward to your posts.