Saturday, September 04, 2010

cocoon 2










Yesterday I waited and watched the 2 caterpillar carefully all day.
I did not want to miss it again.

All day long... nothing happened,
Except that I saw him pushing & making sort of labourmovements.
It started getting darker...so I took him inside.
Got my daylight photolamp...to get some more light.
I also took an extra lamp(not daylight) which I regret now..because of the yellow light on the right side.
(But thats more my desire for perfection..and is maybe not so important.)
He started pushing, moving his coat...downwards,
untill it's skin broke open at the shoulders (so to speak)
As it broke then he shook, pushed his old skin more downward..till it reached his feet
and fell down



Again it is such an amazing sight.
making you still...such wonder.

Now is the waiting till next year...
probably end of April, when the butterfly is ready to come out & fly!


4 comments:

Beth Niquette said...

Oh, dear girl. You are amazing. Thank you, THANK you for sharing this delightful sequence of photos. These photos just fill my eyes.

Gerdien said...

wat mooi !!!!!
nooit geweten dat het een kwestie van een jas uittrekken was.
gr

Kerry O'Gorman said...

What incredible documentation of such a small creature...can't wait to see the butterfly next year!

Catherine said...

WOW - what an amazing set of photographs. Thank you for posting these - I've never seen this sequence, with the old skin falling down, before. Incredible!