Friday, March 13, 2009

Fritillaria meleagris




A while ago, I found these flowers in a gardencentre.
Fritillaria meleagris, (kivietsbloem), or (snakes head fritillaria,)
Its a very rare specie.
I remember, they were growing in the wet meadows at my uncle and ants place, where I spend my holidays back then as a child.
So nice to vividly see them still growing there, in my minds eye in the wetlands.
We were not allowed to pick them, because they were very protected.
So that gave a kind of great respect for such a beautiful flower.

As I found them lately in a gardencentre, I just could not resist these flowers to bring them home.
Normally they blossem in april...but mine are already open.
blossoming in speckled purples, whites and in betweens.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

leuke lampekapjes

Catherine said...

These are stunning! Very beautiful!