Monday, April 17, 2006

fly-catcher

Today I saw the pied flycatcher back again in my garden.
(Ficedula hypoleuca)
Maybe I saw him a few days ago also..but was not sure..but now definitely he is here again.!
Every spring he comes flying all the way from Africa, where he spends wintertime.
In europe there are in winter too less flies to catch, which is his dayly meal.
But end of april he has mostly arrived..back in my garden! and his mate comes one week later.
(Why they don't come together is a puzzle to me.) anyway..
he is inspecting the territory now...and looking for a birdhouse to nest.
When he has found one...(mostly the same house as the year before),she comes and has an inspection too...

she is a little bit browner, he is darker going to black.
I love these birds..coming all the way from Africa..on their own private jet-wings.
And I love the way they catch all the flies in my garden!
& the way the fly like real acrobats!
great bird!

No comments: